Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving Morning: Sore Muscles and a Full Heart

I woke up EARLY on Thanksgiving morning excited to run the New Cumberland SMT Turkey Trot with family and friends. But when I woke up, I almost had to roll myself out of bed. I was SORE (I did reverse lungs with Derek at Tuesday's training session and my legs were fighting back)!

As I rolled myself out of bed (slowly), I realized that my sore muscles were actually something to be THANKFUL for (just don't tell Derek that I said that)! Here's why...

1. I still have the ability to move, dance, squat, walk, and run. And as I've said before, that is definitely something to be thankful for! Many cannot - and it's important to keep that in mind every time I lace up my sneakers to head out for a run or a Zumba class. Check out 4D and read about Jeff Fazio's story - he ran 50 5K's in 50 states in one year - all in support of those that can't run.
"Who was I to question a second lap when so many don't even have the option of attempting the first one?" Jeff Fazio
 2. After a year filled with a good bit of stress and some extra pounds gained, some post-workout soreness means I'm still in the battle. I'm not where I want to be, but darn it, I'm still in the fight! And that's important to remember. Remember this quote from Rocky?
"Going in one more round when you don't think you can - that's what makes all the difference in your life." Rocky Balboa 
 3. My legs may be sore, but my heart is FULL! Even with my jelly legs, I made it to the Turkey Trot and shared those three miles with an amazing group of friends and family. And as we ate our post-race pumpkin pie, I was reminded to be THANKFUL for the company I share along the course (in the Turkey Trot and in life)!





What are you thankful for this year? Share in the comments below! 


1 comment: