Thursday, November 13, 2014

Lessons From My Grandfather: Remembering Glenn Helt

This morning I found out my grandfather, Glenn "Paw-Paw" Helt, passed peacefully at the Harrisburg Hospital. As we begin to say our goodbyes, I couldn't help but think of all that I have learned from the Helt family patriarch. I thought it would be fitting to share a few of those lessons here.

 

Be good stewards. Paw-Paw always taught me to take care of what I've been given. End the end of a painting project, he was fastidious in cleaning his brushes. When the dishwasher stopped working, he tried to repair it before buying a new one. In a world where it's often easier to throw things away or buy it new - he valued and cared for what he had. He lived simply, and because of that, he always had everything he needed. A great philosophy to follow. 

Get 'er done. Nothing stopped Paw-Paw. Even after complications with his back surgery last year, we could find him painting floors in the basement or climbing counters to change a light bulb. Definitely one of the toughest guys I know. How many times do we tell ourselves that we "can't" do something? Guess what - we are lying to ourselves. He showed me that mental tenacity can outweigh physical "limitations" every single time. Truly, if there's a will, there's a way. 


Appreciate your family.  Every time we visited my grandfather, he said thank you. He was so appreciative of our visit and our time. He never took family for granted, and I love that about him. It's a wonderful reminder for us to appreciate those who are around us. How long has it been since you've called your mom? How about visit your grandma? Do it! It means so much!

Enjoy life. One of my favorite memories of my grandfather was at our hunting camp. Every summer we traveled as a family: grandparents, parents, cousins, and eventually spouses and children. A few years ago, Paw-Paw took us on a lengthy hike. I don't remember the exact distance, but it really felt FAR! At the end of the hike we returned, out-of breath and exhausted, to the camp. But Paw-Paw was absolutely unaffected. He took a seat on the porch, popped open a beer, and was completely content. I don't think I'll ever forget that moment. How many times do we allow ourselves to just enjoy life like that? We work so hard in life, but sometimes all we really should be doing is drinking a beer on the porch with those we love the most.

Thank you Paw-Paw Helt for the many wonderful lessons and memories you have given me. You will be missed. 


3 comments:

  1. <3 Great lessons! So sorry for your loss...definitely lots of hugs next time I see you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear this~ I'm here for you, I can call you and please feel free to call me~!

    ReplyDelete