Thursday, November 6, 2014

Fear, Freddy Krueger, and My New Job

We talk about FEAR a lot around Halloween. We watch scary movies with terrifying baddies like Michael Myers, Jason Vorhees, and Freddy Krueger. We take haunted hayrides and are "attacked" by Leatherface. Over and over again, we enjoy the thrill of adrenaline as we are faced with the frightening images inspired by our nightmares. Fear can be fun!

My "scary" Zumba class at our annual Halloween party!
But just like Freddy Krueger pops into the nightmares of his victims unannounced, fear can do the same to us. It can creep into our lives when we least expect it - and it can get the best of us if we don't keep it in check.

Last week I accepted a new position as Activities Director at Central Penn College - a position I've wanted for a number of years. For the first few days, I was excited. But then it happened... FEAR crept in. Suddenly that adrenaline-pumping fun was gone - and in its place I found SELF-DOUBT.

I think sometimes CHANGE can be the Freddy Krueger of the professional world. Even in positive circumstances (like moving into my new position as Activities Director), we find ourselves fearful of leaving the familiar that surrounds us. I love my current co-workers, my office, my student workers. And I'm deliberately leaving them for the UNKNOWN (cue panic).

What if it's different than what I expected?
What if I can't do what I'm asked to do? 
What if I fail? 

But I can't let fear win. This is what I've been dreaming of! So in order to subdue my panic and fightback against Freddy, I reminded myself of the following:

1. While earning my Master's degree, I studied under the best! Incredible leaders in the field of Student Affairs: Dr. Jan Arminio, Dr. Shirley Hess, Dr. Marcy Douglass, Dr. Ford Brooks, and the rest of the Counseling team at Shippensburg University. I can't express how much the program changed my life (and changed me). 
2. While working as Coordinator of Student Life and Multicultural Programs at HACC, I had supervisors and colleagues that were willing to take the time to teach me! I have had incredible professional experiences thanks to Lynette Vogelsang, Lisa Cleveland, Jeff Fazio, Michael Sandy (and many more) during my time at HACC
3. College students are pretty awesome! As a student, I remember our Activities Director and SGA advisor - Linton "Bones" Saurman - telling us how he loved young people! His passion for students and for Student Life inspired me to consider higher ed as a career, and now I can't imagine being anywhere else. 
When I think of the things above, the self-doubt disappears and that positive, adrenaline-pumping excitement returns. I know I'm going where I need to be!

My point? Don't let fear hold you back! Re-count your successes and celebrate each one! We CAN be all that we are dreaming of (as long as we kick Freddy OUT of those dreams)! 

Share what YOU are dreaming of in the comments below!



No comments:

Post a Comment