Sunday, May 4, 2014

Getting Schooled on Balance

"You can have it all. Just not all at once." Oprah Winfrey

At the beginning of the year I was given an amazing opportunity to teach Zumba classes at a gym owned by one of my mentors - the women who I credit with making me fall in love with Zumba, Liza Smith! I was already teaching four classes a week (plus working full time), but I LOVE teaching, so why not teach MORE? Especially when I could team up with my mentor! (More is BETTER, right???)

So since January I've been teaching six classes a week. And I love teaching every single one of those classes. I want to "be the change." And every Zumba class gives me a forum to teach, entertain, and (hopefully) inspire others.

But here's the problem... I realized recently that I wasn't being very inspirational. 

With my new schedule I started missing my morning strength training sessions with my trainer, Derek. Although I've been rockin' the cardio in my Zumba classes, I know that some heavy lifting with Derek is necessary if I want to achieve my fitness goals (Ab Muscles, I'm talking to you - I know you're in there somewhere!).

I also realized how much I miss complaining about Negley Hill on Tuesday nights with my running friends, and joining my former American Cancer Society volunteers at our "reunions," and having time to snuggle my boys at home. With so many weekly class commitments, my time to do those things became greatly limited.
My boys, Max and Puggy!
So here's the question... How can I (1.) Find my ab muscles, (2.) Have time for family and friends, (3.) Make a positive impact on the world, and (4.) Still work toward becoming a Zumba superstar?

My answer? BALANCE. 

My next thought? Easier said than done! I couldn't imagine my Monday nights without Joy, Lindsay, Lena, and all of the amazing gals at Progress Fitness, but I also considered that I wouldn't reach ANY of my goals if my schedule went on as-is.

Then I made the decision to do something scary and HARD. I told my mentor that I wanted to give up my classes at her studio and step back to the sub list.

Derek put it this way - "It's better to have fewer classes and make them AWESOME classes." He's right (I hate when he's right). And I'm (slowly) realizing that balance is important and necessary to make not only my Zumba classes, but ME better.

It's been a tough lesson for me to learn, and probably one that I'll need to be reminded of again. But (as I snuggle next to Max and Puggy on the couch), I know I'm one step closer to being the person that I want to be.

I learned a tough lesson this week, and need your feedback! How do you find balance? Give me your best tips and tricks!



No comments:

Post a Comment