Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Facing the SNAKE

"Oh, it's not really gambling when you never lose." Jennifer Aniston

That's right. I made a bet with my sister-in-law, Rita, but I wasn't gambling - I couldn't lose!

Here was the gist of it: whoever collected fewer donations for the ALS Association during the specified time frame would have to put a LIVE SNAKE around their neck. I took the bet without hesitation (I couldn't lose!), and for two weeks, Rita and I were neck and neck (kind of funny considering our actual necks were on the line)!

We both received so many generous donations from family and friends trying to spare us from our fearful snaky fate. Then came the moment of truth... time to tally our donations. I collected $291 - an impressive amount, and certainly enough to keep me safe, right? Then Rita told me her total... $425! What?! Did she say $425?!!!

I was instantly panicked, but I found security in the fact that I would have weeks (maybe even months) until we planned our fateful trip to Lake Tobias to fulfill the bet.

Then came Memorial Day... 

Picture the scene: A Memorial Day picnic, family and friends sitting happily on lawn chairs, drinking beer, eating hot dogs, relaxing, laughing. Our host casually pulls the cover from the wood pile to prep for the annual bonfire. Sitting there calmly on top of the logs was a fat, green gardner snake. 

I'm not sure who said it first (I wouldn't be surprised if it was my husband), but it was suggested that this would be the perfect opportunity for me to "pay up" (commence screaming now).

I didn't trust that snake. He was a sneaky one - I knew it. He didn't come from the safe confines of Lake Tobias. He was wild. To make things worse, apparently he had the ability to infiltrate the defenses of young children - they loved him (I was still screaming).

Caleb (age 3) - fearless!
Me (age 33) - not so fearless. 
All glimpses of rational thought were now gone - just pure terror remained. It made no sense at all, but when does it? I'm sure I scared that fat old gardner snake just as much as he scared me - yet I had no control over my screams (and eventually tears)! 

So we made a plan - Chris would hold the snake's head and drape his body along my neck, Hilary would hold my hand, and Shawn would take video. Did I do it? Watch the video below to find out!



As I recover from the ordeal, there is one thing that makes me thankful for my sneaky snaky encounter - Team Perry has now raised $3,654 thanks in part to our slithery little friend. And that makes it all worthwhile. 

Only for you, Perry Thoman!

 

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, Adrienne.........I too am petrified of snakes and would have reacted the exact same way!!!!! However, glad it was a happy ending and impressive fund raiser for you!

    ReplyDelete