Monday, April 28, 2014

Numbers and the Nike Half Marathon

13.1. That was an important number for me this weekend. On Sunday, I participated in the Nike Women's Half Marathon in Washington, D.C. where I ran 13.1 gorgeous miles full of cherry blossoms, historic monuments, and lots (and lots) of cheering spectators!

I stood at the starting line with 15,000 amazing women and a few (500) good men. And I was lucky enough to run next to one great friend (Shawna Strine) who allowed me to share in her first half marathon experience!

I never considered myself to be a runner. Running was one of those things that "I could never do" (or at least that's what I told myself). Yet this was my second year to cross the finish line and have a man in a tux hand me my necklace from Tiffany & Co. (one of my favorite parts of this event!)

 

So how did a non-runner make it 13.1 miles to claim her little blue box? I didn't do it alone. I was lucky enough to connect to Team in Training - a facet of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society that trains team members for endurance events like this one. I committed to raising $2100 and in return I received a coach (Larry), a mentor (Cyndi), and a staff partner (Caroline). I also become part of an unforgettable team (a sizable roster of athletes who I now call my friends). Together they helped me do the impossible - they made me a runner!


Now let's talk about some really serious numbers - and these numbers are not as fun to share. One person in the United States is diagnosed with a blood cancer approximately every four minutes. By the time you finish reading this post, another person will hear the words, "You have cancer."

But what does this have to do with D.C.? How did a post about running 13.1 miles turn into stats about cancer? Here's the connection... This year's Nike Women's Half Marathon (the 2nd annual) raised $4.7 million in the fight against blood cancers! That $4.7 million will help to fund life-saving research like that being done by Dr. Brian Druker.


When you think of the good that can come from it, 13.1 seems like a small number. It's a short distance - just a few miles longer than a 5K, right? Before Team in Training, I thought 13.1 was impossible. I know better now. 

What if I told you that YOU could do the impossible? Is 13.1 in your future? It could be! Join me in DC next April or find a different Team in Training event online! I'll see you at the finish line! Go Team!


2 comments:

  1. you are awesome!! I so hope to run this race some day soon :) sounds sooo beautiful and who doesn't love a man in a tux handing you bling??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I am so honored to be that friend and to have shared this experience with YOU, one of my biggest inspirations!! I am the lucky one, to have you as a mentor, an inspiration, and most importantly...a friend. :) Thanks for sticking with me at mile 11 when I was starting burn out and getting "testy" LOL
    Yay! We did it!! I am so proud of us! :)

    ReplyDelete