Monday, April 21, 2014

What I learned from Ashton Kutcher

Ashton Kutcher - actor, producer, writer, pop culture icon, and... philosopher!? I know what you're thinking. What can we learn from this 30-something cutie pie on the ways of the world? He's eye candy! But before you disregard his insight, listen to this Kutcher quote...

"I'm continually trying to make choices that put me against my own comfort zone. As long as you're uncomfortable, it means you're growing."


Let's start with the one word the jumped right out at me - UNCOMFORTABLE. Kutcher is saying that we need to deliberately put ourselves into uncomfortable situations in order to reap the benefits of learning and growth. This is a tough challenge because very few of us enjoy this. We'd rather do what we know, what we are good at!

Just this week I registered for the annual Zumba Instructor Convention. It's a four-day convention in August that brings over 6,000 licensed Zumba instructors to Orlando for education, networking, inspiration, and fun!

Zumba Instructor Convention 2013
Selfie with some of my fave Central PA ZINs 
It's my third year to attend the convention and (of course) I immediately wanted to register for my favorite sessions! I wanted to see Tamara Said and Amanda Grant in BROADWAY LIGHTS; I wanted to see Steve Boedt in BE THE INSPIRATION; I wanted to see Nick Logrea in SWING BABY SWING (all sessions that I was guaranteed to love)!

Zumba Instructor Convention 2013
ProSkills training led by Steve Boedt and Donna Giffen
Instead, I challenged myself (and it really was a challenge) to register for the sessions that I didn't naturally want to go to - the ones that I probably need the most! So I'll be taking a class on injury prevention, a Zumba Gold boost, Salsa/Merengue Mash Up, and even a personalized feedback session (now we're REALLY talking about UNCOMFORTABLE)! 

But here's what I can look forward to... Just like Ashton promises in his quote above, I can expect to walk away with much more than I would have by taking my favorite classes. I may be uncomfortable, I may not be very good at what I'm doing, and I may look a little silly (maybe a lot silly). But I WILL walk away with new insight about myself, new strength in areas that I need to work on, and new security that I can put myself into those uncomfortable positions and come out better in the end!

What have you learned from stepping outside of your comfort zone?


No comments:

Post a Comment