Monday, September 15, 2014

Moving Past Mistakes

Help For The Homeless Dinner 2010
One of my favorite student-led events!
Working in higher ed, I've been blessed to play a small role in the lives of some AMAZING, AWE-INSPIRING STUDENTS. I tell them I need to start an autograph wall to get their signatures now (while I can still afford them)! They are all destined for GREAT THINGS!

As student affairs practitioners, I think we are innately wired to see the limitless potential in our students. No matter where they are, we challenge them to GO FURTHER. And it's very cool to watch them become leaders on their campus (and eventually in their communities).

Recently one of my former students was accused of making a mistake - a BIG one. And I've been reading some pretty awful statements on social media. This particular student definitely was one for the autograph wall - a natural leader, organized, determined. In the short time that I knew him he certainly affected his campus and his community for the better. And then, THE MISTAKE. In an instant, the many positive conversations that were once surrounding this student turned negative.

As humans, we are messy, fallible, and imperfect. We fall short again, and again (and again). And very rarely is it because we are bad people. Nope - it's just not that cut and dry. Think of a mistake that you've made or something you've done that has hurt someone else (and yes, we ALL have something). Now consider why you made the decision you did. How have you changed from that mistake? What have you learned?

Don't get me wrong. We should be held accountable for our mistakes. And if guilty, this student will face the ramifications of his actions for the rest of his life. But I refuse to believe that he is any less than he once was. That limitless potential? IT'S STILL THERE. 

Whether guilty or innocent, I'm still keeping his autograph on my wall. He's still learning. We all are. And that means that THIS STORY ISN'T OVER. For this student, and for all of us: We make mistakes, but mistakes don't make us. Let's not allow our mistakes to define us. Instead let's reach into our limitless potential, turn things around, and get back to doing those GREAT THINGS we are destined for!

To this particular student: I'm still cheering for you.

#studentaffairs #highered #studentlife #potential

2 comments: