Friday, March 6, 2015

Prepping for the Hunger Games

Ok, you've seen The Hunger Games... Remember how (after volunteering as tribute) Katniss is whisked away to a training facility to get prepped for the games?

I'm comparing my current state in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Man and Woman of the Year (MWOY) campaign to that very scene. The games haven't started yet, but things are starting to get serious!

When Katniss was in training, she had an entire team to help her prep: Peeta, Effie, Cinna, Haymitch, etc. Well, I also have a cast of teammates ready to share in this adventure!

Peeta - I'm lucky to have a slew of "Peeta's" on my team in the form of wonderful friends who just said "yes" - no questions asked. Before I even had an idea of what I committed do, they were offering to help (they are either the most awesome people on earth, or crazier than I am - I know it's the prior). Seriously, I can't imagine a second of this 10-week campaign without this incredible crew: Kim Lehman, Mandie Levan, Shawna Strine, Steph Okuniewski, Darla Smith, Denise Zern, Rita Thoman, Beth Davis, Anita LenkerJen Apa, Caitlin Copus, Melissa Mahoney, Nicole Hate, Dawn Leeson, Kim Petrides, LuAnn Gallup, Lexy Ridgley, Kat Stouffer, and Natalie Deibler! I am so thankful for you all!

Haymitch - Those that have gone before me! Karen Richards, Sue Campbell, Dot Kuzo - former co-workers that have all competed in the "Games" before. When trying to decide if I should commit, I reached out to these incredible women. They made a few comments about lack of sleep, but they also clearly expressed how much the campaign meant to them and to the mission of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Thank you for the encouragement!

Cinna - Straight from Panem, I have my Cinna - also known as Ashleigh Pollart. Ashleigh is the Campaign Manager for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Since day one she has been calming my fears and arming me with an arsenal of tools to help me in this battle. Whether it's late night supply drop offs, letter editing, or responding to my (sometimes extensive) emails, she has been nothing but supportive. FYI Ashleigh - We should discuss costumes for the kickoff! How do you feel about fire? ;)

Primrose - Primrose was the WHY for Katniss, the reason she raised her hand and volunteered as tribute. I have my WHY, too. And since accepting my nomination, my list of WHY's have grown. Just this week I had two new conversations with families affected by blood cancers. Thank you for sharing your stories, your pictures, and your support (many of you have even joined my campaign team)! You are my inspiration! This is for you LuAnn,  Jessica, Larry, Lexy, Natalie, Kat, Barry, The Gangnam Style Kid, Dot, Karen, and all of the 1.1 million families that have been affected by blood cancers in the U.S.

“Hope is the only thing stronger than fear." 
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games


I'm not ready yet! Here a a few things I could use YOUR help with to get ready for the "Games."

Donation cards - These are the cards that are sold for $1 (or more) in local restaurants and stores. Do you have a contact at a local business that you could ask on my behalf?

Corporate sponsorships - Corporate sponsorship levels are established by LLS and levels range from $1,000-$20,000, although sponsorships of ANY amount are welcome and appreciated. Is this something your business or organization would consider?

Silent auction items and prizes - We are working on events that will include silent auctions, raffles, etc. We need donations of all kinds including artwork, show tickets, electronics, whatever! Do you have a prize that you would be willing to donate?



Campaign begins April 1!
#somedayistoday #MWOY2015

No comments:

Post a Comment