Sunday, October 5, 2014

Buying Land, Building a Legacy

"Do not let a Just Cause go unassisted by you. Do what you can. Never think that what you can do is not enough. Every little bit helps. To do nothing is what hurts."      Neale Donald Walsch.

Washington D.C. 
A few weeks ago I traveled with our College President, our Director of Marketing, and our College Diversity Coordinator to Washington DC to meet with Education USA, a federal advising center for international students. As Central Penn's International Admissions Counselor, it was a great opportunity to learn about the program and how it can match potential students from all over the world to our school.

But my biggest takeaway didn't come from the walls of a DC office building. It came from the four doors of our Chevy Explorer.

A long drive has a way of inspiring conversation, and our trip was a great opportunity for me to get to know our college leadership team. As we drove, our new Cultural Diversity Coordinator, Romeo Azondekon, shared glimpses of his past as well as a very profound glimpse of his future.

Romeo was originally born in Benin, but moved to the United States with his family as a child. A few years ago he traveled back to his native country to purchase a plot of land. Why? Because he eventually wants to be in a position to build a school for the children there.

Ok - let's break this down...

Many of us say that we want to make a difference. Many of us dream of doing big things for the greater good. Yet here is Romeo who has actually PURCHASED THE LAND TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. Wow!! He may not be building his school yet, but he has managed to take a huge and tangible step toward creating his legacy.

Now check out this video...


Did you take the time to watch it? Powerful, right? Narayanan Krishnan is creating his legacy by feeding those starving in his hometown. His empathy and love for others is palpable. And again I am inspired.

Listening to both stories made me start to think about what I say I want to do versus what I've actually done. It's time to get busy, and start thinking about my own legacy. In a symbolic sense, it's time for me to "buy my plot of land."

I'm not quite sure what that will look like, but I do know it's something I will be thinking about this week. Will you do the same? What will your legacy be? How will we get started?

#bethechange

No comments:

Post a Comment