Monday, August 4, 2014

Timeline: Falling In Love With Matthew Lillard


Valentine's Day (February 14, 1998). After masterfully turning recycled egg cartons into little tulips (Take that, Pinterest!), I went to deliver them to their intended recipient (a friend named Mike). During my visit, I found a few new faces in the mix. One looked strangely like Matthew Lillard (Remember him from Scream?). I don't remember exactly what he said when I told him about his doppelganger, but I do remember that I laughed. And just like that, he won me over.

First Date (January 24, 1999). After sitting through The Blair Witch Project and almost throwing up in the parking lot afterward (We watched the entire movie - with all of its jumpy camera movements - from the front row), I finally convinced him to ask me out. January 24 was when we found ourselves on our first date, and we walked around the Millersburg square (romance!). That date was followed by many more, and I enjoyed a long thread of actually being able to pick the movie we were going to see in the theater (this has long since ended).

The Pug and the Proposal (2003). After graduating from SHIP, I moved into a little one-bedroom condo with my love. And in that little condo I received two amazing gifts - both while sitting on our couch in the living room. First came Puggy... He told me he was helping his brother to move furniture, and walked in holding my little sweet pug in the palm of his hand. The following year he gave me something I love just as much - a life with him.

My wedding day (August 4, 2006). Eight years ago today I was standing on the beaches of St. Lucia, hand in hand with my best friend. We spent the morning of our wedding at the pool and wore flip-flops to the ceremony. A perfect day. I can hardly believe eight years has passed since we were married (15 since we started dating)! Since that time we've moved out of the condo and into a house, welcomed our bullmastiff Max, graduated from college, went back to college, changed jobs, and more.

The days above are all important parts of our timeline. But it's not the "big days" that are the most meaningful. It's the inside jokes and the funny stories; the way we know that the "little pink thing" is Piglet and "cheetah speed" is fast; the way we sit at the Eagle Hotel and fight about our conflicting political views; the way he can make me LAUGH about pretty much anything, anytime, anywhere (It's always dangerous to sit next to him at any event where you should be quiet). My Matthew Lillard lookalike has been making me laugh since day one, and I love him more each and every day because of it.

Happy anniversary, Babe! Love you!





No comments:

Post a Comment