Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Woman of the Year?

For the past few weeks, I've been carrying around this glossy, white folder with the words "Man & Woman of the Year" on the cover. I would leave for work in the morning and throw it in my bag. I would come home at the end of the day and sit the folder next to me. I hoped that by keeping it near me, it would somehow help me to decide how to respond to the challenge that was inside it.

I was given the folder by Ashleigh Pollart, Campaign Manager for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. In it are the details of The Man & Woman of the Year (MWOY) campaign - a fundraising program for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

I was nominated to participate by Cathy Jennings, CPAFE's past president (I was her VP)! Of course it was a huge honor to be nominated, but also kind of scary. You earn votes by collecting dollars - lots of them. It's not unheard of for participants to raise $50,000 or more!

Here are a few of the basics about MWOY: 
  • Ten-week campaign
  • Runs April 1 - June 10 
  • 15 men and women participate in each community 
  • Donations can only be collected within the ten-week period
  • Top male and female fundraisers earn the title
  • Benefits the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

At first I came up with a lot of excuses: I'm too busy. I just started a new job. I don't have the time, the network, the corporate sponsors, the business connections. I'm lucky enough to say that my family hasn't been affected by blood cancers. Why should I get involved? 

Then I thought about my running coach who's son was diagnosed many years ago (his son is now in remission). I thought about a member of my Zumba family who lost her husband just a few years ago, and a CPAFE leader who lost her mom. These are people who I care about whose lives have been changed forever because of blood cancer. Even though the disease wasn't under my roof, it was still all around me. 

Then as I was at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital teaching a Soaringwords + Zumba class to the patients and families, I was given one more sign. This awesome kid in bear paw slippers came up to us and wanted to dance to "Gangnam Style." Of course we obliged. And as he showed off his dance moves, I noticed the t-shirt that his caregiver was wearing - and the words "Fight Leukemia." 

You just can't say no to that. 

So for Larry, Luann, Jessica, and that Gangnam Style kiddo - I say YES. I'm in the running for Woman of the Year - for you, for your families, and for all of the families that have been affected by blood cancer.

Will I win? I don't know. But as it says in my glossy, white folder - EVERYONE WINS WHEN CANCER LOSES. 

So what happens now? Well, I'm going to need lots of help! If you are willing to join my campaign team, hold a fundraiser on my behalf, ask your company for a corporate sponsorship, plan a dress-down day (or any other great idea you have), please let me know. I can't accept any donations until April 1, but we can start planning today! Will you help?


More than 1.1 million Americans are currently living with or in remission from a blood cancer. Every three minutes, someone is diagnosed. Every ten minutes, someone dies from these cancers. They are men, women and children of every race and every age. Learn more at lls.org




No comments:

Post a Comment