Saturday, January 4, 2014

My "Why" (for the Lose It For Lou Gehrig's Challenge)

On January 1, we started the "Lose It For Lou Gehrig's Wellness Challenge." For 50 bonus points in week 1 (a hefty amount!), we were challenged to share our reasons for joining the challenge in the first place. Here's my "Why"… 

In July of 2013, my brother-in-law, Perry, was diagnosed with ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease). Here's a pic of Perry with my sis, Rita (also a participant in the challenge). This was before he was diagnosed, and it shows that crazy Thoman brother humor that they are infamous for!


As we've watching Perry deal with this awful disease, we've also been motivated to support the organizations that have done so much for him and his family - This fundraiser is benefiting the Muscular Dystrophy Assocation. With the help of our challenge participants (31!!), we will be making a donation of over $300 to MDA! (FYI… if you want to help add to our total, CLICK HERE! hint, hint!)

Personally, I've also been reminded to treasure EVERY SINGLE DAY that I've been given - every chance to laugh with my husband, to snuggle my "boys" Max and Puggy, to dance with my Zumba divas, to run with my friends, etc. 


 


And so - this challenge, for me, is not only about raising money. It's about living the life that I want to live in 2014. In the past, I've let my weight hold me back. I didn't dream big because I didn't believe in myself. And I don't want to EVER let that happen again. And guess what - Now I want to bring YOU along for the ride! This year's motto - CARPE DIEM!!! 

What are you dreaming of? What are you waiting for? How will you SIEZE THE DAY in 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment